Third Party SNMP Extension Agent DLLs
There are a number of third party Extension Agent DLLs provided by vendors of Windows applications and Windows Server hardware products. These Extension Agent DLLs are designed to be compatible with Microsoft SNMP Extension Agent API and are therefore compatible with NuDesign SNMPv3 Agent Service for Windows, a secure drop-in replacement to Windows SNMPv1/v2c Service.
In general follow the Extension Agent DLLs vendor’s installation instructions before installing NuDesign SNMPv3 Agent Service. The NuDesign Service installation program will then accept the configuration of the Windows Server’s SNMP settings and replace the insecure MS SNMPv1/v2c Service with secure NuDesign SNMPv3 Service to provide security afforded by the SNMPv3 standard.
For example, Hewlett-Packard Enterprise (HPETM), in order to monitor its line of Windows Servers provides HPE Insight Management Agents software containing several services and associated SNMP Extension Agent DLLs. They enable the overall control and visibility of many parameters of the Windows Server, including generation of alarm notifications to alert users to specific trends, faults or performance aspects of their system’s operations.
Additional third party Extension Agent DLLs are supported by NuDesign SNMPv3 Service for specialty networking cards, such as a line of HPE FlexFabric and other vendors versions of 10Gb 2-port Emulex networking adapters for Windows Servers.
* HPE, HPE ProLiant Server, HPE Integrity Server, HPE Insight Management Agent, HPE FlexFabric are a registered trademark of Hewlett Packard Development Company, L.P. Emulex is a registered trademark of Broadcom Ltd.
Our Technology Partner, Informant Systems provides it’s SNMP Informant extension DLLs for use in comprehensive monitoring of Windows Servers’ operational characteristics.
The following monitoring providers are available:
- Performance Providers – These products hook connect to the performance counter subsystem and provide low-level performance monitor statistics to any SNMP Network Management Station.
- WMI Providers – These products connect to the WMI sub-system of Windows servers, and convert remote SNMP requests to local WMI requests, thus allowing access to detailed Windows configuration and state information for Operating System, Hardware, Exchange 2000/2003, Virtual Server and Hyper-Visor. Operating System product enhancements include bi-directional (service control, remote execution and shutdown/restart) control of Windows server systems.
- Server Specific Providers – Informant’s Microsoft Cluster Services and Citrix providers allows remote SNMP management of MSCS and CItrix environments
- Custom Providers – The extensible custom provider allows addition of custom performance, WMI and / or registry queries.
NuDesign is providing an integrated evaluation product containing NuDesign SNMPv3 Agent Service for Windows and SNMP Informant set of Windows Servers monitoring DLLs. Also included in the eval package is the evaluation of NuDesign Visual MIBrowser Pro. All products are pre-configured for instant SNMPv1/v2c/v3 communications to ease the evaluation process. The MIBrowser Pro evaluation is pre-loaded with SNMP Informant’s MIB modules.
Developing Custom Extension Agent DLLs
For custom monitoring applications NuDesign provides the SNMP Agent Studio for Windows, a code generation tools used in automatic generation of Extension Agent DLLs for any application-specific MIB module. The tool greatly simplifies development of Extension DLLs. It is as simple as reading a MIB module into the wizards, it produces complete project files and the source code that needs to be instrumented for each read / write object. The notifications are auto-handled as well.
Annual Support Contracts and Upgrades
The Annual Technical Support and Subscription Service Contract provides one year of product enhancement and maintenance updates plus access to our engineering team (please review the terms here). For more details please see our Purchase SNMPv3 Service page.